Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Those shoes sold for WHAT?!?!

Sometimes I wish eBay had a mechanism for sellers to find out why buyers are willing to pay what they do for certain items.  I had a few auctions end tonight.  The Jimmy Choos went for big money (but still well below retail) to no one's surprise.  The silence + noise dress did well too, considering I got it for a song.  The one that kind of baffles me is the $61 someone paid for a pair of JELLY SHOES.  You know, like the shoes we first wore back in the 80s that smelled pretty bad by the end of the first week?.  Made from rubber or plastic or other such non-breathable, artificial material.  "But Thriftissima, these shoes are TORY BURCH!!  That alone makes them valuable!"  Really?  I can be a label fiend with the best of them, and I like Tory's clean, relaxed aesthetic.  But there is no way I'm paying more than a few bucks for unlined plastic shoes.  Not even if they were made by the red sole man himself.  I really want to know why this person was willing to drop the price of a decent pair of leather flats on these.  I suppose I'll never find out because I am too afraid of the feedback beast to ask.

I fully acknowledge that I am being somewhat hypocritical here.  I am making fun of someone for paying a lot for these shoes but I purchased them at the thrift for the very reason that someone would pay a lot for them.  Catering to label addicts is pretty much my business model... I depend on the irrational bidding frenzy of buyers who want that designer's whatever at any cost.  These shoes are just ridiculous.

3 comments:

  1. Those shoes are horrific! :) In a give me the money kind of way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like blister heaven! And sweat heaven! If they were leather, they would be cute!

    ReplyDelete